The city of Norman and surrounding areas make for great scenery for bikers as they travel to their destinations or simply go for a ride with no real destination in mind. Unfortunately, not all rides end well. Motorcycle accidents are all too common on the roads in Norman. Crash victims face serious injuries, expensive medical bills, and ongoing financial hardships as they struggle to recover.
If you have been hurt in a crash, you should speak with a Norman motorcycle accident attorney from the Cain Law Office as soon as possible. Our attorneys can review the details of your case, answer all your questions, and fight for the full and fair compensation you need to recover. Schedule your free consultation now to learn how we can help.
How Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
After a crash, you may be able to file a claim against the negligent driver who caused your accident. However, you shouldn’t do this on your own. An attorney from our firm can help with your claim and ensure you are pursuing the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to receive.
Some of the ways our firm can help take the pressure off you during this difficult time include:
- Our attorneys will conduct an investigation into the crash to determine liability and to collect evidence that indicates who was at fault.
- Our lawyers will also deal with the insurance company for you. There are many strategies insurance companies use to try to pay you a low settlement and keep more of their profits. Our lawyers are familiar with these tactics and will not let them get away with this.
- We will work to document your losses, including consulting with experts who can estimate how your injuries will affect you in the long run.
- There is a complex process for filing a personal injury claim and many rules associated with it. Our attorneys will take care of all these details and ensure your claim is protected by filing it on time and following all procedural rules.
- Our respected legal team will be aggressive advocates for you every step of the way, including taking your case to trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
To get started on your case, contact our Norman motorcycle accident lawyers now for a free consultation.
Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
When you are hurt in a motorcycle accident that was caused by someone else, you are entitled to seek compensation for any losses you sustained. This compensation is known as damages, and there are many different types available in Oklahoma personal injury claims. The most common damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Permanent impairment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
An attorney from our firm can review your case in detail and determine all the possible types of compensation you deserve. Contact us now for your free consultation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Oklahoma, accident victims have two years from the date of their motorcycle crash to file their claim. This is known as the statute of limitations. If you wait longer than this and the statute of limitations expires, you will likely be barred from receiving any compensation at all.
Although two years may seem like a long time, it is essential that you speak to a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Our attorneys will want to gather all the evidence before it disappears and thoroughly document your injuries from the beginning.
Steps to Take Immediately After a Motorcycle Accident
After a motorcycle crash, it’s common for accident victims to be unsure of what to do next. Taking the right steps, however, is essential to protecting your health and your possible legal claim down the line. Immediately following an accident, it’s important that crash victim:
- Get medical attention: If you’ve been hit on your bike, you are likely suffering from severe injuries. You must get medical help as soon as possible to ensure that your injuries do not become any worse and that you get the treatment you need right away. It’s also important to get medical attention right away to protect your claim by ensuring your injuries are documented.
- Report the accident: It’s the law in Oklahoma to report an accident to law enforcement if it results in injury or death. Accidents that only result in property damage do not have to be reported. After being hit on your bike, though, you will likely have suffered serious injuries, so you must report the crash.
- Exchange information: You must exchange information with any other drivers involved in the crash. Get their names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, insurance information, and their license plate numbers.
- Take pictures: Photos will document the accident scene, which can help prove liability later. Take pictures of the vehicles involved, your injuries, and anything else relevant to the crash.
- Obtain witness statements: Witness statements are also very useful pieces of evidence after a crash. Be sure to get the witnesses’ contact information so your attorney can follow up later.
- Call an attorney: It’s important that you call an attorney as soon as possible after a crash. Our attorney will walk you through what to expect, answer all your questions, and manage your claim from start to finish.
Oklahoma Motorcycle Laws
There are many motorcycle laws all riders in Oklahoma must know and follow. These include:
- All drivers must have an “M” endorsement on their license.
- Motorcycle operators can only carry passengers if they are over the age of 16.
- Motorcycles must have certain equipment, such as two rearview mirrors and a windshield or goggles.
- Riders under the age of 18 must wear helmets. Other riders are not required to wear helmets.
- Bikers must use their headlight at all times, even during the day.
- All bikes must be equipped with a muffler.
- Handlebars must be no higher than the eye level of the rider.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are many causes of motorcycle accidents in Norman, but some of them are more common than others. These include:
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driving under the influence
- Sudden stops by a vehicle in front
- Left-turn accidents
- Dangerous road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
No matter what caused your crash, if you believe someone else was to blame, you should speak to our attorney about your legal options.
Talk to a Norman Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Now
If you’ve been hurt, you need the help of an experienced and compassionate motorcycle accident lawyer in Norman. At the Cain Law Office, we will fight for your rights and help you demand the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys.