Bicycle Accidents Are Often Severe
Bicycle riders, like motorcyclists, are extremely vulnerable when they are involved in accidents with cars, trucks, or other larger motor vehicles. They are more likely to suffer catastrophic injury, which can leave them with lingering pain and suffering for years to come, along with staggering medical bills. Accident victims also face the prospect of missing work for long periods, as well as property damage to what may be a very expensive bicycle.
Injured bicyclists and families of those killed in bike accidents usually turn to insurance claims for the financial assistance they need. Yet they often find insurers to be of little help. Motorists are quick to blame bicyclists for accidents, and the insurance company wants to pay as little as possible, or nothing, on these types of claims.
About Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys
For more than 20 years, the Oklahoma City bicycle accident attorneys of the Cain Law Office have successfully fought for the compensation injured bicycle riders deserve after car accidents. We take the burden off our injured clients by advancing all the costs associated with your legal claim, and we do not charge you fees unless we win compensation for you.
If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a bike accident, do not hesitate to get the help you need. Contact our personal injury attorneys today to schedule a free initial consultation and discuss all your options for pursuing a claim.
Don’t Accept Offers From Insurance Companies
If you or a loved one has been hit by a car or truck while riding a bicycle, you may have already heard from an insurance adjustor representing the at-fault driver. Do not sign any statement or accept any payment from an insurance company until you have the offer reviewed by an experienced personal injury attorney.
In the immediate aftermath of a crash, it is not possible for an insurance adjustor to know the true costs and losses you have suffered from a serious bicycle accident. Any payment offer will be a low-ball settlement based on previous payouts for claims similar to yours, with no consideration for the specifics on your case. By accepting a settlement offer, you could be signing away your rights to much more compensation.
How Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help You
When you contact the Cain Law Office, our skilled Oklahoma City bicycle accident attorneys will:
- Set up a free initial consultation. We can meet with you at either of our two greater Oklahoma City area offices or in your home, hospital room, office, etc. ─ wherever is most convenient. During this meeting, we will review the details of your case and discuss your options for compensation.
- Pursue your claim on a contingency-fee basis. We will handle all the costs of investigating your case and filing a claim without charging you a cent unless and until we recover payment for you. Then we will retain an agreed-upon percentage of any settlement or jury award. Nothing comes out of your pocket. If we are not successful, you will not be charged. This arrangement protects your interests and incentivizes us.
- Do all the leg work. We will take care of all correspondence and paperwork necessary to obtain evidence to build the case, such as police reports, medical records, receipts, and more. Our team will file insurance claims and respond to insurers’ requirements, and we will be prepared to file a bicycle accident lawsuit if a suitable settlement cannot be reached without one.
- Identify all possible sources of compensation. This could include the at-fault driver’s insurance, your insurance, or the manufacturer or distributor of a defective auto or bike part. If you were injured in the course of performing duties for your job, we can explore your options for a workers’ compensation claim, as well.
- Consult with experts. We will have independent medical consultants review your files to ensure we have an objective view of your injuries and prognosis. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may also consult with accident reconstruction specialists, vocational rehabilitation experts, life care planners, and other professionals to help us develop a comprehensive claim for maximum compensation.
- Draw upon our community connections for you. You will likely face many challenges after a car accident ─ physically, emotionally, and financially. We can help you cover the bases and ease the burden on you. That includes arranging appointments with medical specialists, retrieving your bike and/or other personal property if you have been unable to, and notifying creditors and others of your accident and status.
- Always be available to answer questions. Our team will respond promptly to all of your questions and concerns, whether in person or by answering your calls and emails. We will advise you of all settlement offers, along with our recommendations, but all decisions about settling will be yours. If we must go to court, we will make sure you understand how a trial works and the role you could play. (You would not be legally required to testify at trial, but if it would help your case and fit our agreed-upon plan, we would make sure you were fully prepared.)
- Prevent the insurance company(s) and at-fault party from hounding you. As your claim proceeds, the Cain Law Office will act as a buffer between you and any issue that detracts from your recovery. Once we take your case, you can refer all questions from insurers, creditors, and others about your accident and injuries to your attorneys.
At the Cain Law Office, we believe you should be made financially whole by a bicycle accident settlement, with no debt attributable to the accident and no problem replacing your bike, if you plan to ride when you recover. If you have been disabled in a motor vehicle accident, you should have no concerns about how you will provide for yourself going forward.
Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with our Oklahoma City bicycle accident law firm. We can review any settlement offer you have received and talk about your best options for moving forward.
Compensation for Bike Accidents in Oklahoma
Because bicycle accidents often result in catastrophic injury, many victims find themselves facing serious financial burdens as the struggle to recover.
At the Cain Law Office, our knowledgeable bicycle injury lawyers are committed to thoroughly investigating and documenting your claim in order to determine how much compensation you will truly need to move forward.
Types of Damages After a Bicycle Accident
Our team will likely pursue both economic and non-economic damages, including payment for:
- Your past and future medical bills
- Any property damage expenses
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity in the future
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages in extreme cases
After a serious bike accident, it is important to have a personal injury lawyer who is committed to your long-term recovery, not a quick fix. Contact our injury lawyers today to learn how we will make a difference in your case.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Oklahoma City
In a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, the bike rider is the one who is most likely heading to the hospital and potentially facing a long and difficult road to recovery. Yet in many cases, the driver is the one at fault for the crash.
Our Oklahoma City accident attorneys have handled countless bike crash cases over the years, and some of the common causes we have investigated include:
- Distracted driving, especially texting while driving and other cellphone use
- Impaired driving (drunk and/or drugged)
- Fatigued or drowsy driving
- Aggressive driving (speeding, frequent lane changes, running or jumping stop signs and red lights, failure to yield, etc.)
- Sideswiping a cyclist
- Failing to look before turning in front of a bicyclist
- Pulling out of a side street, driveway, parking lot, etc., into a bicyclist’s path
- Opening a door of a parked car into the path of a cyclist
Bicyclists have the right to occupy the full width of the lane in Oklahoma
In fact, under Oklahoma law, motorists passing bicyclists are required to move into the free lane until safely past or allow at least 3 feet of space between their vehicle and a bicycle while passing on a two-lane road.
At the Cain Law Office, our Oklahoma City bicycle accident lawyers stand up for the rights of injured people and their families. Our objective is to not only recover the compensation you need but also to hold negligent and reckless drivers accountable for their actions.