Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is unlike any other injury that our attorneys encounter at Cain Law Office. You can’t see a TBI like you can injuries such as burns or fractures. Still, we know how a brain injury can be devastating. A person who suffers TBI in an accident may never work or enjoy life the same way again. The person also may need many years of treatment, rehabilitation and assistance with basic things like eating, bathing and dressing. Family members can easily become overwhelmed.
For more than 25 years, attorney Monty L. Cain and our legal team have helped TBI victims and their families throughout Oklahoma to tackle their challenges and fight for every penny of compensation they deserve. We care about our clients’ welfare and aggressively pursue results that will help them to move on with their lives. We can help you, too.
How Can Our Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Help After You Suffer a Serious Brain Injury?
If a doctor has diagnosed you with any level of traumatic brain injury after an accident such as a fall or car crash, you should seek help from an attorney right away. Under the Oklahoma statute of limitations, you generally must file a lawsuit within two years from the date of an accident. So, a delay in getting legal help could cost you.
At Cain Law Office, we want you to seek legal help if you believe that another person’s negligence caused you or your loved one to suffer a serious brain injury. We know how our legal team can play an important role in the recovery process by helping to lift your burdens, protect your rights and pursue all compensation you are due. We never charge for consultations. If we represent you, you will pay no upfront fees, and you will owe us nothing unless we secure a financial recovery for you.
When you work with our law firm, we will provide the caring and professional legal service that you deserve during this difficult time. Cain Law Office will:
- Listen to you. We will take the time to understand how a TBI has affected your life and the lives of your family members. For instance, can you work, help around the home or share relationships like you did before the injury? We will aggressively pursue a result that addresses the unique harm that you or your loved ones have suffered.
- Work hard for you. We will conduct a professional investigation of your accident. We also will collect and analyze your medical records. Typically, we will talk with experts as well. Our main goals: We want to determine why your brain injury occurred, who should be held responsible for it and how much you deserve for your losses.
- Fight for you. We will never back down when we deal with the insurance company. We will present a solid demand for compensation and pursue a full and fair settlement of your claim. Although we resolve most cases through settlement negotiations, our firm will be ready to present a strong and persuasive case on your behalf at trial.
Above all, our attorneys will care for you. While we work on your case, Cain Law Office will keep you updated at all times and answer your questions. Additionally, we can provide medical care referrals, help you with any related property damage claims and let creditors know about your status.
What Should You Know About Traumatic Brain Injury?
TBI results from any external trauma to the head. It can occur when a person’s head hits something like a dashboard or the ground or when an object strikes or penetrates the skull. Sudden, violent shaking also can result in a TBI by causing the brain to bounce back-and-forth within the skull.
Causes of TBI
The Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) reports that common causes of TBI are:
- Motor vehicle crashes (such as a car, truck or motorcycle accident)
- Sports and recreation-related incidents
- Workplace accidents (typically at construction sites)
- Assaults (including domestic abuse)
- Military incidents (blasts or gunshots).
For this reason, you should pay close attention to the signs and symptoms of brain injury if you or a loved one gets involved in any kind of accident. You should immediately seek medical attention, and you should protect your legal rights by contacting an experienced Oklahoma brain injury attorney.
Symptoms of a TBI
According to the BIAA, the signs of a potential TBI include:
- Physical – Loss of consciousness, severe headaches, ringing sound in one’s ears, sensitivity to light and noise, fatigue, dizziness and balance issues. Seizures, convulsions, nausea and vomiting also are symptoms.
- Cognitive – Confusion, memory loss and troubles with focus and concentration. A person also may experience problems with processing information and making decisions.
- Emotional – Anxiety, depression, mood swings and inability to control one’s emotions or engage appropriately with others at school, work and in other settings.
To diagnose TBI, a doctor may need to order X-rays, MRIs, CT scans and other tests. Once diagnosed, the doctor can start your treatment. So, the longer you wait to see a doctor, the longer you may prolong your recovery.
As the BIAA notes, no two brain injuries are the same. For instance, one person who suffers a mild form of TBI such as a concussion may have a short recovery. However, another person with a concussion may experience problems that linger for years or grow worse after a second concussion.
A person with a severe form of TBI typically experiences permanent disability, or the person may fall into a coma or die from the brain damage. In many cases, TBI victims require ongoing treatment, rehabilitation and assisted-living services.
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Brain Injury Lawsuit?
If another person’s negligence caused you or a loved one to suffer TBI, Cain Law Offices will fight fiercely for maximum compensation for you. For instance, we will seek a full recovery for all of your past and future medical expenses as well as:
- All other related out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of income (including diminishment of future earning ability)
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium.
If your loved one has died from a brain injury, our law firm can pursue wrongful death damages, including compensation for the loss of your loved one’s financial support. In some cases, punitive damages may be warranted.
In addition to seeking personal injury damages, our firm can also help you to explore and purse all other options available to you, which may include workers’ compensation benefits and/or Social Security Disability benefits.
Get Help from Our Oklahoma Brain Injury Attorneys Today
With more than 25 years of experience with helping TBI victims and their families in Oklahoma, the legal team at Cain Law Office will know how to thoroughly investigate your accident, calculate your damages and pursue all compensation you are due. Don’t wait to get legal help. Contact us today and allow us to review