Drivers in Del City do not always watch for people who are out walking, or they simply do not stop for them the same way they do other motorists. When a driver is negligent and hits a pedestrian, the person on foot usually ends up suffering severe if not fatal injuries.
If you have been hit by a motor vehicle, or if your loved one was killed in a pedestrian accident, you need legal advice now. A Del City pedestrian accident attorney from the Cain Law Office can review your case in a free consultation and explain all your legal options.
Our law firm has earned a reputation for helping accident victims recover the full amount of compensation they deserve, and we are ready to fight for you.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
If you have been hit by a car, truck, or other vehicle, there are some essential actions you must take to protect your health and your potential legal claim. After a pedestrian accident, you should:
- Seek medical attention: Your health should always be your first priority. After a pedestrian accident, you are likely suffering from serious injuries and you need medical attention to help you deal with them. If an ambulance is not called out to the scene of the accident, make sure you visit an emergency room or your doctor as soon as possible after the crash.
- Report the accident: This will not only help your case in the future, but it is the law in Del City and throughout the rest of Oklahoma. You must report any pedestrian accident to the police. Law enforcement will also visit the scene and file a report, which could help when you are dealing with the insurance companies.
- Take photos: Photographs of the scene provide some of the most compelling pieces of evidence. If you can, take photos of the vehicle that hit you, your injuries, and anything else relevant to the scene, such as the crosswalk you were in when you were struck. If you cannot take these pictures, ask a bystander to take them for you.
- Exchange information: As a pedestrian, you really only have to give the driver your name and contact information. You should write down their name, contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and their insurance information. Also get the names and contact information for any witnesses.
- Call an attorney: Pedestrian accident cases can become extremely complex. Our attorneys know how to fight to hold the insurance company accountable for paying what you deserve. We will ensure your rights are upheld and will always act as your advocate.
When you schedule a free consultation with a Del City pedestrian accident attorney from our firm, we will guide you on your next steps and explain what to expect through the personal injury claims process.
How Our Del City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
After a pedestrian accident, it could take some time to get your life back on track. You have likely sustained some serious injuries that will take time to recover from, and you may not be able to work and enjoy the activities you once did. As you heal from your injuries, there are many ways our attorneys will help:
Investigating your case to prove liability. Determining fault is the most difficult aspect of many personal injury cases, and it is one area in which our attorneys will be a great help. Our lawyers understand what evidence to collect to prove liability and will identify all possible sources of compensation.
Documenting your losses. Our attorneys will also be able to fully and accurately evaluate your claim so you can demand the full amount of compensation you need. Too many accident victims do not take into consideration certain expenses, such as transportation to and from their doctor’s appointments, or their future medical costs. An accident lawyer from our firm will know what damages you have sustained and aggressively pursue maximum payment.
Negotiating and litigating your claim, if necessary. Our skilled attorneys are able to settle many pedestrian accident claims for a fair amount without going to court. However, as respected trial attorneys, we will be prepared to move forward to trial if the insurance company will not offer a reasonable settlement.
These are just a few of the ways an accident lawyer from our firm can help with your case. Our legal team will also handle every aspect of your claim so you can focus on getting better.
Compensation for Pedestrian Accident Victims
The compensation in pedestrian accident claims is known as damages, and if you have been hurt by a negligent driver, you may be eligible for many different types of damages. The most common of these include:
- Medical expenses (current and future)
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Physical disabilities
- Disfigurement or impairment
- Emotional trauma or depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Whatever losses you have incurred as a result of the accident, our attorneys can help you thoroughly document them and demand full compensation.
Understanding Your Own Insurance Coverage
In Oklahoma, if a motorist hits you when you are on foot, you typically should file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, too many times that driver will not have the proper coverage, no insurance at all, or you may have been struck by a hit-and-run driver.
In these instances, your own auto insurance policy may cover you for the accident. This is particularly true if you have purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
When you schedule your free consultation with our Del City pedestrian accident lawyer, bring a copy of your insurance policy so we can review all your legal options.
Time Limits for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Oklahoma
The statute of limitations for filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit in Oklahoma is two years from the date of the crash. This is the amount of time you have to file your claim. If you wait longer than this, the courts will likely throw out your case and you will be barred from receiving compensation.
Do not hesitate to talk to a lawyer about your accident as soon as possible. Collecting evidence, proving fault, and documenting your injuries take time and resources. Your attorney will want to begin work on your claim immediately.
Talk to an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Del City
If you have been hurt as a pedestrian, you need sound legal advice. At the Cain Law Office, our Del City pedestrian accident lawyers are dedicated to providing the help you need.
Contact us for your free consultation so we can get to work on your claim right away.