If you’ve been hurt in a hit-and-run accident in Edmond, you might be wondering what your legal options are. The experienced Edmond hit-and-run accident lawyers at the Cain Law Office are here to help. Attorney Monty Cain and our team have spent more than 25 years helping Oklahoma accident victims find justice. We have helped countless hit-and-run victims like you recover fair compensation for their losses.
To learn more about your options for pursing compensation after a hit-and-run in Edmond, contact us now for a free consultation.
What Should You Do After a Hit-and-Run in Edmond?
Follow these steps to protect your rights after a hit-and-run accident:
- Call 911. You or somebody else may need medical treatment after a hit-and-run accident, so calling 911 should be your first step. The responding police officers can begin investigating the crash immediately and looking for the person who hit you. They will also make an official record of the accident.
- Get contact information from witnesses. If anyone saw the accident, be sure to get their name, phone number, email address, and mailing address. If you can, ask them what they saw. It’s also helpful to ask if they took any pictures or videos of the accident.
- Take pictures. If you’re able, take pictures of the scene and try to capture as much information as possible. Take photos of your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. Get photos of skid marks, paint scrapings, and any other potential clues.
- Give a full account to the police. When the police arrive, give them as much detail as possible. Be as specific as you can be, and note details like the time of the accident, the direction the vehicle was heading, the color of the car, the make and model, anything you remember about the driver, etc.
- Get medical attention. See a doctor as soon as possible to get the treatment you need and reduce the risk of your injuries getting worse. Save all of your medical records, bills, and invoices.
- Contact a lawyer. A lawyer can investigate your crash and identify every potential source of compensation in your case. The sooner you speak to a lawyer, the better.
Compensation in Hit-and-Run Accident Claims
There’s both good news and bad news for the victims of hit-and-run accidents in Oklahoma. The good news is that if you can track down the driver who hit you, Oklahoma law says that you can claim up to three times the value of the actual damage done in the accident. The bad news is that it’s not always possible to find the offending driver in these types of accidents.
Let’s start with what happens if you can find the driver who hit you. Once you find the negligent driver, you can file a personal injury claim for the damages you incurred due to the accident. “Damages” is the legal term for the injuries and other losses suffered in an accident. This includes losses like:
- Your past and future medical costs
- Any wages you lost while you were healing from the accident
- Your reduced future earning potential if your injuries make it harder to earn a living
- The physical pain and suffering resulting from the accident
- Any mental or emotional distress stemming from the crash
Remember, in a hit and run, the at-fault driver may be held liable for three times the amount of the value of damages caused by the accident.
It’s a different situation if the driver who hit you is never found, but it’s not completely hopeless. If you can’t find the other driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company under the terms of your uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will pay for your medical bills, the cost to repair or replace your car, and some other expenses.
Oklahoma does not require drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage, though. A knowledgeable Edmond hit-and-run attorney can examine your policy for you and help you understand your legal options.
How an Edmond Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Whether the offending driver in your hit-and-run crash has been caught or not, the lawyers at the Cain Law Office are here to help you understand your legal rights and your options for moving forward. We’re prepared to gather evidence to support your claim, handle all the legal paperwork and communication, and fight for every last dollar in damages that you’re entitled to receive.
To get started on your hit-and-run accident claim right away, call the Cain Law Office today. The initial consultation is free, and there is no charge for our services unless we recover compensation in your case.