After a car accident, you are likely facing a lot of stress. Medical bills can mount up, and the loss of transportation can cause big problems. Not to mention, if you need to take time off work to heal, your bills can quickly become overwhelming.
If your accident was caused by a negligent driver, you should not be forced to shoulder all these financial burdens. A Yukon car accident attorney from the Cain Law Office can help you understand your legal rights and demand the full compensation you deserve.
Please contact us now to discuss the details of your accident during a free consultation. Our team is here to help.
When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Not all car accidents require the help of an attorney. For example, if there was only minor damage to a vehicle, insurance companies will likely agree to provide compensation. There are times, though, when accident victims should always speak to an attorney before filing their claim.
It is important to speak to an attorney when:
- You are seriously injured and are facing expensive medical bills.
- The injured party is a minor.
- The circumstances surrounding the crash are complex.
- You’re unsure how to value a loss, such as pain and suffering or a loss of household services.
- There are disputes over who was at fault for the crash.
- You’re unsure of which insurance company to file your claim with.
- The insurance company is not offering a fair settlement.
- The insurance company has denied your claim.
- Time has passed and you’re unsure of whether you can still file a claim.
When a claim involves any of these factors, accident victims should always speak to a knowledgeable attorney.
Compensation for a Car Accident Injury
There are many different types of compensation available in a car accident claim. The most common types include:
- Medical expenses: When injuries are serious, they take a long time to recover from. Accident victims can claim compensation for their current medical expenses and any expenses they will incur in the future.
- Lost wages: Injuries from car accidents are often so severe, victims are unable to return to work. When this is the case, those injured can claim those lost wages.
- Reduced earning capacity: Sometimes accident victims not only lose current wages, but their injuries are so severe they can never return to the same line of work. When this happens, those injured can claim the loss of future wages.
- Property damage: Accidents can cause extensive property damage to the vehicles involved. This loss can also be included in a car accident claim.
- Pain and suffering: Injuries can cause extensive physical pain and suffering, and although this loss doesn’t have an actual dollar value, it can still be included in a claim.
These are just a few of the most common types of compensation included in many car accident claims. A skilled Yukon car accident attorney can identify all losses an accident victim has sustained, and help them pursue a fair settlement.
What to Do After a Car Accident
The moments after a serious car accident are stressful and scary. Accident victims don’t always know what to do next, but taking the right steps can help with a claim. Below are the most important things accident victims should do after a crash.
- Call the police: In Oklahoma, car accidents must be reported to the police when they result in injury, death, or significant property damage. Law enforcement will also file a report, which can be used to prove fault to the insurance company.
- Get medical help: Your health and safety are the top priorities after a crash, so you must seek medical attention immediately. Getting medical treatment immediately after the crash will also help provide documentation of your injuries from the beginning.
- Take photos: Photos are a crucial piece of evidence in a car accident claim. They can help indicate how the accident happened and who was at fault. Take pictures of both vehicles and their positions in relation to each other, injuries, and anything else relevant to the crash, such as traffic lights.
- Speak to witnesses: In addition to photos, the statements of eyewitnesses are also important pieces of evidence. Write down the name and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident and inform them that your attorney may contact them.
- Remain wary when speaking to the insurance companies: Insurance companies don’t want to help accident victims. They go to great lengths to reduce settlement claims, or deny them altogether. They will use anything accident victims say against them in the future, so it’s best to say as little as possible and direct them to your attorney.
- Talk to a lawyer: An attorney will make the entire process of filing a claim easier. They will speak to the insurance companies and negotiate for full and fair payment.
It’s important that those injured in a crash speak to a car accident attorney in Yukon as soon as possible. There is a lot of work to do before a claim is filed, and a lawyer must start taking the appropriate steps immediately to preserve evidence and investigate the crash.
Main Causes of Car Accidents in Yukon
Any time a driver is negligent, he or she could potentially cause a car accident. However, there are some causes that are more common than others. These include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to yield
- Reckless driving
All of these behaviors are extremely negligent and give rise to personal injury claims when accident victims are hurt.
Contact an Experienced Yukon Car Accident Law Firm
If you’ve been hurt in an accident, it’s important you speak to one of our Yukon car accident lawyers at the Cain Law Office as soon as possible. You may be eligible for compensation, and we want to help you get it. We will handle all communication with the insurance company and demand the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact us online for your free consultation.