When a large commercial truck slams into a smaller passenger vehicle, the results can be catastrophic. Crash victims may be left with debilitating injuries and overwhelming expenses. Accident victims may be unable to return to work. In some cases, victims may never be able to return to the life they knew.
If you have been hurt in a truck crash, you should speak to a lawyer immediately about your rights. Our Mustang truck accident lawyers will evaluate your case for free and answer all your questions. At the Cain Law Office, we have a long track record of securing maximum settlements and verdicts for truck accident victims. Contact us now to learn how we can help you.
What to Do After a Truck Accident in Mustang
The actions you take immediately following a truck accident can greatly affect your chances of securing maximum compensation. The most important steps to take after a truck accident are:
- Call the police: Under Oklahoma law, you must report any accident that involves injury, death, or significant property damage. Call your local police station or 911 and ask them to send an officer to the scene. The officer will investigate the crash and file an accident report. This report can be helpful in your claim for compensation.
- Seek medical attention: Seeking medical attention will ensure your injuries are treated promptly and properly. This will also ensure your injuries are documented from the start, which can help your claim. Ask for an ambulance if you need urgent care, or visit the emergency room immediately after leaving the scene.
- Take pictures: If you can, take pictures of the truck, your own vehicle, and your injuries. Also try to take a picture of the accident scene as a whole, as that can help explain how the accident occurred. You may also ask someone else at the scene to take photos for you.
- Gather information: You should obtain the truck driver’s name, address, driver’s license number, and insurance information. You should also collect information about the truck company and the DOT number for the truck and trailer. Also write down the truck’s license plate number.
- Call a lawyer: Dealing with large insurance companies and trucking companies to secure the compensation you need will be difficult. A Mustang truck accident lawyer from our firm will work quickly to identify all liable parties. Then we will fight for the full compensation you need to recover.
Who Is Responsible for My Truck Accident?
There are many potential liable parties in a truck accident case, including:
- The truck driver: Truck drivers may act negligently and cause a crash. Fatigued driving, distracted driving, driving under the influence, speeding, and aggressive driving are common types of truck driver negligence.
- The trucking company: Trucking companies are responsible for hiring experienced and qualified drivers. They must also inspect and maintain their vehicles and ensure they are properly repaired when needed. Trucking companies that take shortcuts and do not meet these responsibilities can be held liable.
- Cargo loading company: Cargo must be loaded properly into a truck. When it is not, it can throw the entire vehicle off balance, causing a crash.
- Manufacturers: Truck and parts manufacturers must ensure their products are safe and will not cause a crash. When a defective truck or a defective piece of equipment causes a crash, manufacturers can be held responsible.
- Other drivers: Other drivers on the road may also be responsible for a crash. For example, another driver may cut a trucker off, causing the trucker to brake suddenly and cause a rear-end accident.
Compensation After a Truck Accident in Mustang
The most common types of compensation in truck accident cases include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
In the worst cases, our Mustang truck accident attorneys help families pursue wrongful death damages.
How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit After a Truck Wreck?
Oklahoma, like all states, has a statute of limitations on truck accident claims. This is the time limit you have to file a lawsuit against the liable party. In Oklahoma, the statute of limitations is usually two years after the date of a crash.
Many accident victims believe that two years is a long time to file their claim. Unfortunately, it is not. Before filing a claim, a truck accident lawyer in Mustang must conduct an investigation to prove liability. You must also reach maximum medical improvement to know how much to ask for within your claim. All of this takes time. So it is crucial to speak to a truck accident attorney in Mustang as soon as possible.
Common Truck Accident Causes
Truck accidents are typically caused by negligence, but that can come in many forms. The most common truck accident causes include:
- Mechanical defects
- Drunk driving or drugged driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Improper loading of cargo
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Failure to check blind spots
- Poor road conditions
It can be difficult to determine what caused a truck accident. For example, accident victims may not know right away that the truck driver who hit them was drunk. Or they may not realize a defective truck part contributed to the crash. A Mustang truck wreck lawyer can determine what caused the crash and who should be held responsible for paying fair damages.
How Our Mustang Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
If you have been injured in a crash, our Mustang truck accident lawyers at the Cain Law Office are here to help. We will get to work on your case immediately and connect you with a medical provider if you cannot find one. We will work with experts who can assess how your injuries will affect you in the future. Ultimately, we will pursue the maximum compensation you need.
Our law firm does not charge you any fee unless we win your case. Contact us today for a free consultation, and learn how a Mustang semi-truck accident lawyer can help you.