People in Edmond and throughout Oklahoma rely on commercial trucks to deliver the goods they need every day. Although these trucks serve an important purpose, they also pose a serious risk when problems on the road lead to an accident.
Unfortunately, many of these accidents involving large trucks could be prevented. These crashes are often caused by the truck driver’s negligence or the negligence of another party involved in the truck’s operation. When that is the case, accident victims can file a claim against the at-fault party to demand payment for their losses.
At the Cain Law Office, our Edmond truck accident lawyer and skilled legal team can help accident victims determine what caused a crash and pursue a claim for full compensation. Schedule your free consultation now to get started.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Edmond
Any negligent or careless act can cause a truck accident. However, there are some causes that are more common than others. These include:
● Brake problems: Defective brakes or brakes that fail due to an overloaded or poorly maintained truck can cause horrific accidents. In these instances, the truck driver cannot stop or slow down in time and ends up crashing into another vehicle at a high speed.
● Traffic flow interruption: When roads are heavily congested or backed up due to another accident, truck drivers can become frustrated and impatient because they operate under strict deadlines. This can cause them to act carelessly, resulting in an accident.
● Over-the-counter or prescription drug use: Even using legal drugs can cause an accident when they make a truck driver drowsy, confused, or over-stimulated.
● Impaired driving: When truck drivers operate a commercial truck while impaired by alcohol or drugs, their reaction time is slowed and they cannot concentrate on the road as well. All of these factors can easily cause a crash.
● Speeding: When truckers drive over the posted speed limit or do not drive at an appropriate speed for road and weather conditions, it can cause an accident, as well as increase the severity of an accident.
● Unfamiliarity with roads: Truckers travel to a lot of different places and are often unfamiliar with many of the roads they take. This can cause an accident when a trucker turns the wrong way onto a one-way road, or when the driver becomes distracted by using the GPS or looking for street signs.
● Roadway problems: Federal and local governments are responsible for maintaining the roadways so they are safe and free of hazards that could cause a crash. These entities are also responsible for installing signs that direct traffic and that can prevent an accident. When governments or the companies they contract with fail in any of these responsibilities, they can be held liable for a crash.
● Failure to obey traffic signs and signals: All drivers are required to obey traffic signs and signals. When truck drivers fail to do this, they not only put the safety of other motorists at risk, but also pedestrians and bicyclists.
● Driver inattention: Truck drivers are behind the wheel for many hours a day. Sometimes they may get distracted and not pay full attention to the road in front of them. When this is the case, drivers may fail to see other motorists, stop lights or stop signs, and other danger situations, leading to a crash.
● Driver fatigue: Also due to the fact that truck drivers are on the road for several hours a day, they can become fatigued. When they do, they should pull over to a safe place so they do not put others at risk. Unfortunately, many truckers do not do this because they operate under strict deadlines and want to deliver their cargo as quickly as possible. When that happens, an accident can easily occur.
Any time a truck accident is caused by any of these common factors, it is important that accident victims speak to a lawyer who can help with their case.
How We Investigate the Cause of Truck Accidents in Edmond
Although there are many common causes of truck accidents, they are not always so obvious. In many cases, the crash happens so quickly that accident victims are not even sure how it occurred.
Our experienced legal team will conduct an in-depth investigation to determine what caused the crash and who should be held liable. Evidence collected during these investigations includes:
● Photographs of the accident scene: If you are involved in a truck accident, you should take pictures of the scene, the vehicles, and your injuries. Ask someone to do this for you if you are unable. Our team will also take photos during our investigation. These photos will help document details before the scene is cleaned up and the vehicles are repaired or destroyed.
● Witness interviews: Eyewitness statements are often critical in proving a claim because of their unbiased nature.
● Vehicle inspections: After any truck accident, there will likely be significant damage to all vehicles involved. This damage can help prove how a crash occurred.
● Black box data: Transport trucks are equipped with black boxes that can establish what happened in the moments before the crash. Data from these devices can help prove how the accident happened and who was at fault.
● Cellphone records: This evidence can prove that a truck driver was texting or talking on the phone at the time of the crash, which could prove distracted driving.
● Chemical testing results: These tests can verify that a truck driver was impaired at the time of the accident.
● Surveillance camera footage: With dash cams becoming more popular and most businesses having some type of video surveillance around their property, this footage is fairly common and can clearly show how the accident occurred.
These are just a few of the most important types of evidence our lawyer will collect to determine what caused your crash and who should be held responsible. We will also work with accident reconstruction professionals to piece together all the evidence we collect and build a strong case for you.
Do You Need Legal Help? Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in Edmond
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, contact our Edmond personal injury lawyers at the Cain Law Office. We know how to conduct investigations to collect the evidence that is crucial to your case, and we will fight aggressively for the full and fair compensation you need.
Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation so we can start reviewing your case.